Strand Primary Academy Reading Journey
The Reading Strategy
The Reading Strategy is a trust-wide approach to develop reading comprehension skills, it takes place EVERY day for a minimum of 30 minutes. It incorporates age-appropriate, challenging texts which vocabulary rich therefore pupils are exposed to text which enables them to respond using a greater range of vocabulary. The chosen texts are:
The core principles of the Reading Strategy are as follows:
- A 30-40 minutes whole class text reading session (Additional reading time to be organised by the school)
- Wherever possible, whole class reading should take place during the morning.
- This is a non-negotiable session which must not be missed
- All Academies must use the set texts provided.
- Texts will last for the term (or even more UKS2)
- Text used in the reading session will be separate from literacy or wider curriculum work
- Teachers identify children who are working below or well below ARE who will need support (in addition) for fluency and decoding.
- All year groups will have a reading response book. There should be 3 pieces of written response per week. (independent/guided/ specific). These books reflect the pride and enjoyment in reading children have
- These sessions will need to be supplemented with non-fiction and poetry to ensure a broad range of literature is experienced.
In addition to the Delta Reading Strategy, the children at Strand Primary Academy have access to a range of 1:1 reading texts. Predominately these are taken from the Oxford Reading Scheme but the but the school reading scheme books are supplemented throughout each phase to ensure a broad and balanced collection of genres are available. Children are encouraged to read at home daily and receive rewards in our half-termly ‘Book Busters’ assemblies to encourage and develop a love of reading.